5 Questions to Ask Yourself
Honest conversations with your doctor are crucial to ensuring you get the care that’s right for you.
Below are five questions that doctors are encouraged to ask people who are facing serious or life-threatening illnesses. Take some time to think through your answers and then write them down. This will help you clarify your values and priorities so you can share them with your doctor.
- What is your understanding of where you are and of your illness?
- What are your fears or worries for the future?
- What are your goals and priorities?
- What outcomes are unacceptable to you? What are you willing to sacrifice? What are you unwilling to give up?
- If you reach the advanced stages of your illness, what would a good day look like?